Here is the protocol that I use, as manager of FC Saxan, for acquiring physios.
- Check the personality. If unsatisfactory (e.g. ‘unsporting’), abort.
- Check whether the physiotherapy attribute meets the threshold for the club? If yes, shortlist, If not, abort.
- Rank the shortlisted physios initially on the basis of their physiotherapy attribute.
- Then consider whether any of the following provide case for over-riding the above ranking:
- personality: a physio with a particularly desirable personality (e.g. ‘professional’) may be preferable, even if the physiotherapy attribute is not the highest;
- mental strengths (especially determination and discipline);
- potential: someone at or near the start of their career may be able to improve by studying for badges.
- Having re-ordered the shortlist in the light of the above considerations, opt for the physio who is least well-known, on the basis that he is likely to be least expensive and least likely to be poached.
- But before offering a contract, check that the physio speaks the language, since the expense of a language course may well prove prohibitive.